The 6th Annual Mineral Resources Compliance and Reporting conference was held on 20 and 21 August 2015 at Indaba Hotel, Fourways and was attended by over 120 delegates.
Although the DMR was not there in full force as previous years, the level of industry presenters and law firms were exceptional.
ITC aims to host this conference annually to ensure engagement between the DMR and industry. The contributions made at this year’s platform between speakers and peers were encouraging.
The top 4 speakers, as rated by you:
John Mark Killian, Managing Director, UMSIZI SUSTAINABLE SOCIAL SOLUTIONS
Bridgette Radebe, Executive Chairperson, MMAKAU MINING
Andrew Masongwa, Group Chief Executive Officer, SIMANG GROUP LIMITED
Warren Beech, Partner & Head of Mining, HOGAN LOVELLS (SOUTH AFRICA)
The conference was rated as:
31% Excellent, 58% Good, 11% Average
- The regulator needs to hold industry accountable to ensure full compliance
- The mining industry needs to look at beneficial waysto supply Eskom with coal
- Having not achieved the set goals, the mining industry need to be clear on what the ramifications of non-compliance are
- Re-igniting your passion for the mining industry by assisting in doing your best to, get your organisation to the next level
- SA Pty Ltd is in trouble and the mining industry needs to do its bit in saving it
- We need to move away from being defensive in trying to unearth solutions. Industry as well as Government needs to share the blame. If there is inefficiency we need to say so
- Disclosure of information- Confidentiality has given companies a sense of comfort and some of the non-compliance issues stem from there
- Mining companies need to work towards ensuring transformation is taken more seriously
- Get DMR staff to the conference who can answer specific concerns- especially those technical legal questions
- DMR to share case studies on either challenges or best practice in any aspect of mining/ MPRDA
- DMR should embrace suggestions and flexibility of Umsizi’s LED and SLP into approved SLP’s- also hear the municipality’ssuggestions
- The DMR representatives seemed unprepared
- DMR to tackle the issues that they are experiencing with mining industries and be more specific with legislation and regulations
- DMR need to take this event serious- attendance and visibility key
- Somebody from the DMR (senior management) should review the presentations
- DMR- IT Department to integrate technology
Winner: Mrs Etheline Britz from Cullinan Diamond Mine, won a free seat to next year’s conference. Congratulations we look forward to seeing you next year!