Dear Women in Mining,
The 8th Annual Women In Mining Conference was attended by over 200 delegates from the mining industry under the theme “Moving from the integration to the development of women in mining.” A unanimous consensus during the three day conference urged all women to take charge of their development and be relentless in the drive to be developed within the mining industry.
- Cynthia Carol, Chairperson, VEDANTA RESOURCES HOLDING
- Olebogeng Sentsho, Head of Operations, YEABO MINING
- Sisiwe Mthethwa, Manager Training & Development, PALABORA COPPER (PTY) LIMITED
- Debbie Ntombela, Partner, Mining & Minerals, SHEPSTONE & WYLIE ATTORNEYS
- Dr Gargi Mishra, Founder, MINING INNOVATION
- Farana Boodhram, CEO, AVITA MINING
- Duduzile Kunene, Regional Manager, WESTERN CAPE DEPARTMENT OF MINERAL RESOURCES (DMR)
- Transformation in mining is a journey, but now it is time for more women to get onto the bus
- Non-compliance of the recently amended MPRDA will result in fines or imprisonment
- When doing community SLP always include the community, because empowered mining communities are unstoppable
- Love what you do and work hard not because it is an expectation
- Set targets for your career and drive your own development in order to be a successful woman in mining. Take charge of your personal growth it is not the job of your employer
- Do not lose your unique identity as a woman in mining just because you want to fit in
- As much as you want to succeed in your career, know when to say no
- Ensure you have competent suppliers that you can source goods and services from
- Once you are developed and trained it is vital to also bring up and coming women in mining and pay it forward
- Strength is not only physical, what you lack in the physical form make up for in mental capabilities
- It is necessary to be challenged, motivated and recognized in your job
- In order to grow within mining it is important to take risks and not just stay in your comfort zone
Two free seats to attend the 9th Annual Women In Mining Conference were given away during the draw and the lucky winners were Mapula Sarah Modungwa,Planned Maintenance Officer, ANGLO AMERICAN and Boitumelo Mbatha, Chief Financial Officer, LANXESS CHROME MINE
Neptune gave out 5 pairs of Safety Boots each day of the conference to 15 participants.
Thanks to Charnaud our Gold Sponsors
BBF our Silver Sponsor
and HSE our Exhibitor Sponsor
The next women in mining catch up workshop will be in August/September and dates and programme will be forwarded to you shortly.
We would like to hear from you with regards to any ideas you might have for next year’s conference as we continue to uplift women in mining South Africa.