ITC hosted the 1ST Environmental Crimes conference and over 150 delegates from all sectors attended.
Mr Nigel Adams provided his “zero tolerance approach to Environmental Crimes committed by industry” he ensured delegates that his inspectorates were there to aid and assist industry with a firm push form the law.
Top Speakers As Rated By Delegates
Nigel Adams, Director: Compliance And Monitoring, DEPARTMENT OF WATER AFFAIRS
Frances Craigie, Directorate: Enforcement, DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL AFFAIRS
Sabelo Malaza, Directorates Compliance and Monitoring, DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL AFFAIRS
Adv Antoinette Ferreira, State Prosecutor, NATIONAL PROSECUTING AUTHORITY
Kyle Mandy, Director, PWC
- Having a practical approach to environmental crimes
- DWA and DEA protocol in investigation and how to prepare for a site visit by the EMI ( green and blue scorpions )
- Delegates learnt that the legislation is a tool that can be used in their favour rather work against them, with the help of regulators
- One of the key out comes at this conference is the report findings of the EMI’s visits and the availability of these reports
- Feedback of their audit results , and reports on their compliance notices
The conference was rated as:
50% Excellent, 40% Good, 10% Average
Olivia Romble, CA, EDWARD NATHAN SONNEBERGS
Dean Lotriet , Plant Manager , LOTRIET
Although South Africa has one of the best legalisations protecting the environment today, industry still has a long way to go, to ensure a more environmental friendly way of conducting business.
“ The conference was very informative”
Moagi Obed, Deputy Director, LEDET
“The set up was excellent, presenters knew what they were talking about”
Lucky Moja, Environmental Manager Inspector, LEDET
“Speakers provided valuable info”
Protas Mkhize, Projects Manager, ESKOM