This year’s conference saw over 90 delegates come together not only to educate and equip themselves but also network and attempt to build a unified forum. ITC would like to especially thank Mr Kevin Malunga, Deputy Public Protector who enlightened delegates on the role of the office of the Public Protector in promoting good governance within public service.
We would like to thank all speakers for their preparation and commitment to attend this platform!
Adv Kevin Malunga, Deputy Public Protector, PUBLIC PROTECTOR OF THE REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA
Herlu Smith, Chief State Law Advisor, OFFICE OF THE PREMIER EASTERN CAPE
Jan Stemmett, Co-Chairperson, LAW SOCIETY OF SOUTH AFRICA
Vanessa Henry, Owner, HENRY ATTORNEYS
- The establishment of the legal services forum is vital in promoting networking and exchange of information between law associates
- Exploring the possibility of creating a public sector law school
- More focus and emphasis of good governance should be exercised, emphasizing the relationship between democracy and good governance
- Further addressing the appearance of public sector lawyers in court on behalf of Government departments
- Further the need to entrench the values of transparency and accountability
- Adherence to the rules of the law and the need to uphold the supremacy of the constitution.
- Adopting an inclusive and giving due consideration to the whole involvement of civil society
- What does the mandate of the pan-African parliament mean for the public service , SOE’s and Chapter 9 institutions, considering one of its mandates is to encourage good governance, transparency and accountability member states
- Cognisance to the fact that the pan African parliament does not have legislative powers.
- Consideration given to the fact that the African court has no criminal jurisdiction and sentencing powers for example, The scandal regarding theft of donor funding in African Governments
- What we questioned is what the legal practice bill means for the public protector non-practising lawyers
- The discrepancy was noted regarding provisions of certain pieces of legislation that permits non-practising attorney at various spheres to appear in courtIt’s very important to model your business principles
The conference was rated as:
22% Excellent, 62% Good, 16% Average
Please forward all success stories, or any general feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org