Dear Shop Steward
This year the 5th Annual Shop Steward conference was attended by over 100 delegates from several African countries namely Botswana, Ghana, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and not forgetting the host South Africa under the theme achieving collaboration between the employer and the workforce The key note speaker Hon Nkosi Sango Patekile Holomisa, MP Deputy Minister of Labour South Africa in his key note address highlighted that the “National minimum wage should not result in job losses instead the National Minimum Wage should address poverty. He encouraged employers and employees to build smart partnerships while the role of the Shop Steward is enhanced through promoting positive relations in the workplace”.
ITC had a record number of 7 speakers rated above 50% “Excellent”, as per your evaluation form. Thank you for your feedback!
- Advocate Sharon Loops, Managing Member, SDL TRAINING SOLUTIONS
- Solomon Kotei, General Secretary, GHANA INDUSTRIAL & COMMERCIAL WORKERS UNION
- Vic Van Vuuren, Director, INTERNATIONAL LABOUR ORGANIATION
- Saki Makume, Employee Relations Manager, RAND WATER
- Inviolata Chinyangarara, Senior Specialist (Workers Activities), ILO Sub Regional Office for Southern Africa, INTERNATIONAL LABOUR ORGANIATION
- Motlanyane Cornelius Tsepetsi, Regional Accounts Executive & Shop Steward, RAND WATER
- Henry Zondi, Head of Employee Relations, ANGLO PLATINUM
Some of the key outcomes after the conference during the open forum included:
- The role of Trade Unions is fundamental for the balance of the Labour Market
- The time to redesign Bargaining Councils is now
- Respect the role of Trade Union Structures and agree on communication structures and standards in the workplace
- Dispute in the workplace can cost both parties hence issues need to be resolved speedily
- Failure to resolve dispute at the workplace properly can cost the employer a considerable amount of investment
- Maintain a “neutral position” when resolving dispute in your workplace
- An arbitration award can also be reviewed if the commissioner committed misconduct as well as if the award has been improperly obtained
- At the Labour Court the Judge determines the mater based on Facts, Reasons, Legal Arguments and Conclusion
- IR and ER should employ proactive measures to avert unstable situations in the workplace
- Engage in open and fair negotiations with your members
The overall conference was rated as:
|67% Excellent||32% Good||1% Average|
Each delegate received an ITC branded cap & t-shirt that will go a long way in reminding them of their 3-day experience with ITC. One free seat was given away by ITC during a draw to attend the 6th Annual Conference in 2016.
We look forward to hearing some success stories of how our delegates went back to their respective companies and represented the workforce in the best possible way to see positive results for all.