Dear Road Safety Stakeholder,
This year the 7th Annual Road Safety Summit was attended by over 80 delegates from different departments under the theme “Reaching collaboration through educating, enforcing, evaluating & engineering.”At the end of the conference, delegates took part in compiling a list of outcomes that were cascaded to the National Department of Transport in an effort to see a reduction in the number of accidents and fatalities on South Africa’s roads.
- Kenneth Africa, Chief Director: Traffic Management, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT AND PUBLIC WORKS – WESTERN CAPE GOVERNMENT
- Proctor Utete, Director, TRAFFIC SAFETY COUNCIL OF ZIMBABWE
- Simon Kekana, Manager: Traffic& Safety, WATERBERG DISTRICT – LIMPOPO PROVINCE
- Operating a 24/7 Work shift model
- Implementing a nation-wide fatigue management programme on critical routes
- Carrying out weekend alcohol blitzes in critical areas
- Train traffic officials in the identification of drugs, illegal substances and illicit cigarettes
- Utilising ASOD technology on identified routes
- Conducting timeous communication to keep all road users informed
- Design forgiving road infrastructure
- Recruitment of Law enforcement positions – jobless and low grade applicants are recruited. If National Dept. can assist with standards of recruitment. (Refer to recruitment policy)
- Setting up a helpdesk to assist all Provinces and have dedicated person to monitor and assist
- Increase on Road Safety Practitioners to educate and communicate need to increase
- Road Safety Practitioners are being discouraged due to lack of resources and equipment
- How far are we with the process of crafting, finalising and implementing the Road Traffic Law Enforcement Code
The conference was rated as:
48% Excellent, 52% Good
One free seat was given away during the draw and Rachage Pheleu Motsei, Deputy Director; Road Safety, NORTH WEST DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNITY SAFETY & TRANSPORT will be attending the 8th Annual Road Safety Summit.
We would like to hear from you with regards to any ideas you might have for next year’s conference as we create a platform for Road Safety Practitioners to strategise and ensure zero incidents on SA roads..